The British Commanders'-in-Chief Mission (BRIXMIS) to the Soviet Forces in Germany (GSFG) was formed on 16 September 1946 under the Robertson-Malinin Agreement between the chiefs of staff of the British and Soviet forces in occupied (east) Germany.
The agreement called for the reciprocal exchange of liaison missions in order to foster good working relations between the military occupation authorities in the two zones.
Similar agreements were then the following year by the Soviets with the French (FMLM) and the Americans (USMLM). For unexplained reasons the agreements differed significantly as BRIXMIS was allowed to have almost as many liaison staff in the Soviet Zone as the other two missions combined. The agreements remained in force until 2 October 1990 when all three missions were deactivated on the eve of Germany's reunification.